Friday, January 4, 2008

Assateague in winter


Assateague Island Looking Southward Photo (c) 2006 by the Incorrigible Curmudgeon

Assateague Island , Shorebirds Photo (c) 2006 by the Incorrigible Curmudgeon


Assateague Island looking northward. If you squint, you can just see Ocean City 6 miles away where the waves meet the sky. Photo (c) 2006 by the Incorrigible Curmudgeon

Sinepuxent Bay, which separates Assateague Island from the mainland

Photo (c) 2006 by the Incorrigible Curmudgeon

Traditionally for as long as I can remember, I have made the pilgrimage to Assateague National Seashore at least once a year. It is an Atlantic coast barrier island just south of Ocean City, MD. I like it because it is just sand and water (and wild ponies) without any boardwalks or concession stands. I always go to the National park section to swim, chill, take photos, and relax to the sound of the waves at one of my favorite spots on Earth. It is 150 miles and 2-1/2 hours from DC (on a good day).

In 2006, I was running out of time to make my yearly trek, so my daughter and I drove out here on December 23rd, arriving just before sundown. I brought my Nikon D200 with me and took these photos. In 2007, we never made it to Assateague, but we did get to Venice Beach, CA and to Rehoboth Beach, DE so I don't feel too bad.

No comments: